Recent Posts

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Review - Hate 2 Lovers (2 Lovers Series #2) by K. Webster and J.D. Hollyfield



Title: Hate 2 Lovers
(2 Lovers Series #2)
Authors: K. Webster and J.D. Hollyfield 
Publication Date: April 4, 2017 
Category/Genres: Adult Contemporary Romantic Comedy
She hates him and his big head. He likes her and her big t*ts. She hates him because she somehow ends up naked every time she sees him. He likes her because she somehow ends up naked every time he sees her. She hates him because the big oaf knocked her up with his kid. He likes her because she’s carrying his child. She hates the way he gets inside her head. He likes the way she lets him see glimpses of her heart. Andie: I hate you. Roman: I know…but I’m going to change that. ***This is book two in the series. It is best if you read book one first to fully understand this couple’s story.***




Buy LinkAmazon

2 “Too much bickering” Stars

ARC provided by the authors.

Thank you.


I'm the biggest fan of the hate to lovers trope. I'll grab a book just because of the premise of getting a good enemy-to-lovers romance. You put that on the title and you sure get me salivating. The problem is (I never thought I'd say this) this time it didn't work for me. At all.

First thing I'll say, definitely read the first book in the 2 Lovers series because part of the reason I didn't like this one was because it felt like I was starting the story in the middle. To be completely fair, there's a warning saying "It's best if you read book one first" before the blurb, so I take full responsability for not doing as instructed.

I could've ignored the fact that I started Andie and Roman story in the middle. It wasn't that much of a big deal. The fact that I didn't like Andie (and sometimes Roman) at all was, though. And disliking the main characters wasn't my only problem, either.

5% in I wrote on my Kindle notes:

"A few pages in and we already have:
1. Story starting midscene
2. Sentences ending in ?!
3. A pregnant MC ordering drinks
4. So much slut shaming."

Maybe I was being a little harsh, because Andie didn't drink what she ordered and the whole ?! isn't that much of a big deal (another round of edits can fix that), but the slut shaming was too hard and too constant in this book.

And Andie did most of it. She was really annoying. The way she talked about other women as if they were all (aside from her BFF) sluts really got on my nerves. Can we not have that? Please? Can not all women in romance stories other than the MC and her inner circle be bitches? I just hated how she called women "skank" and thought every woman in the story was trying to get to Roman or already sleeping with him, which also makes her seem jealous and insecure.

Roman wasn't much better in his treatment of other women. While he let Andie do whatever she pleased, he was rude to other women she felt threatened by when they were just basically doing the same thing or even less offensive things than Andie. It just pissed me off.

Andie was way too imature to be likable. She was constantly screaming at everyone, accusing Roman of cheating or lying or whatever. She threw objects at Roman, which is not cool. Not cool at all. She didn't give a shit about professionalism or ethics. She was just too much. For me, Andie is an example of "too much voice". The authors tried to hard with her and it showed.

Since I couldn't stand Andie and Roman wasn't that much better, the chance I liked the romance was pratically zero. I didn't feel the chemistry because I was too busy cringing whenever Andie screamed or screeched or overreacted. So, yeah, it didn't work for me.

Like I said in the beginning, I expected to love this book because it promised me one of my favorite romance tropes with lots of humor, but unfortunately it didn't work for me at all. Judging from all the great reviews on Goodreads, maybe you'll feel completely different, so if the premises interest you, maybe read those reviews before you make your decision.
*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: