Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Release & Review - Properly Groomed (Wedding Favors #3) by Boone Brux

Image and blurb from Goodreads

Title: Properly Groomed
(Wedding Favors #3)
Author: Boone Brux
Publication Date: January 9th, 2017
Category/Genre: Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entangled

When Joya Bennett wakes up after her brother’s wedding, half-naked and lying next to her lifelong crush, she’s mortified. OMG, did she try to jump his bones? Worse, did she succeed? Intending to lay low and housesit for her brother until the embarrassment fades, she sneaks away before he wakes up.

What she didn’t plan on is having company.

Lincoln Fisher doesn’t do relationships, but if he did, his friend’s little sister would be the one to tie him down. Good thing Joya had one too many drinks during the reception or he’d have crossed a line. Her brother would kill him if he found out all the places Linc wanted to kiss the sexy, auburn-haired beauty.

And now they’re stuck in the same house. For two weeks.

She’s off-limits. And he needs to keep it that way, even if the heat building between them is hot enough to blow off the roof…

Buy Links: Amazon 

3.5 “Best friends, new house and cute pets” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Entangled!!

This is my first book by Boone Brux and somehow it's the middle of one of her series. I don't think I realized I was requesting the third book in the Wedding Favors series, but I'm glad I did it anyway.

Properly Groomed's first chapter left me wondering for a few minutes if I'd be able to follow the story as I had not read the first two books, but that feeling was quickly pushed away as I kept reading.

This is the sweet, cute and sexy story of Joya, who's a bridesmate at her brother's wedding and a woman in love with his best friend. She's been into Linc for ages, but she never made a move, partially because Linc was her older brother's friend and partly because Linc was known for not wanting a serious relationship. Somehow, though (and I mean somehow because we don't get to see how they got there in this book), Joya wakes up the day after her brother's wedding half-naked and in bed with Linc. Talk about awkward.

Joya flees the scene, but the next day she finds herself face to face with Linc again. He's going to be spending some time at her brother's place since he's just sold his old place and is looking for a new house now. The thing is, Joya has also agreed to stay at the house to take care of her sister-in-law's pet (an iguana). There'll be no escaping Linc after that.

Not that he wants her to escape him, either. Not now that he has finally looked at his friend's little sister and seen the woman she has become. A woman he's much too interested in getting to know better. A lot better.

Look, once I got past the confusion with being thrown into the story as it seemed to have already started (with Joya and Linc in bed), things progressed just about the way I wanted. Linc made it impossible for Joya to resist him by being super sexy and sweet. As a restaurant owner, he even cooked for her multiple times. A man after my heart!

Joya didn't try to resist him all that much, either, which made sense considering she had a thing for him already. Not that she could resist a man that cooked for her shirtless. I mean, who would?

Together, Joya and Linc had a lot of chemistry. Their scenes went from hot to sweet back to hot. Just the way I like it. The fact that Joya and Linc knew each other for a while made progressing from friends to lovers a little smoother. I still wished the whole falling in love thing had been a tiny less insta, but, again, the "being friends for years" was a good way out.

With the help of Linc's dog and his seating-on-people's-foot obsession, the story was even cuter. The iguana also helped with that job. I love when the author can fit pets into a love story. It's always a plus for me.

The only reason I didn't rate this higher was because of the subplot involving Joya's job. I didn't exactly agree with her decisions involving her job, and I didn't even understand her reasons until much later on, when she finally talked to Linc and explained why she did what she did. Even then, I'm not sure she made the right call. It just made me feel slightly uncomfortable to see a woman make a decision like that, especially when she hadn't even talked about their relationship prior to making that call.

Other than that, the rest of the story really worked, especially the dynamic between the two main characters. I also loved the interaction between Joya, Linc and the rest of their friends. Too bad we didn't get to see it until much later on. Either way, I read the last couple of chapters with a big smile on my face. It was that adorable. 

Properly Groomed was a quick, sexy and sweet read that introduced me to a new author and made me want to read more books in that series. I bet you'll feel the same way if you give this book a chance, too.

*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: