Recent Posts

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Release & Review - Iron Cast by Destiny Soria

Title: Iron Cast
Author: Destiny Soria
Publication Date: October 11th, 2016
Category/Genre: Young Adult Historical Fantasy

It’s Boston, 1919, and the Cast Iron club is packed. On stage, hemopaths—whose "afflicted" blood gives them the ability to create illusions through art—captivate their audience. Corinne and Ada have been best friends ever since infamous gangster Johnny Dervish recruited them into his circle. By night they perform for Johnny’s crowds, and by day they con Boston’s elite. When a job goes wrong and Ada is imprisoned, they realize how precarious their position is. After she escapes, two of the Cast Iron’s hires are shot, and Johnny disappears. With the law closing in, Corinne and Ada are forced to hunt for answers, even as betrayal faces them at every turn.


Buy Links: Amazon


2.5 “Interesting twist on magic & witches ” Stars

ARC via NetGalley

Thank you, Amulet Books!


I wanted to love this book. I really did, because LOOK AT THIS COVER! It’s so pretty. So, so pretty.


And then you have 1919 & Boston & witches who aren’t witches because there’s a twist to it, and I’m like yes, please be good. Unfortunately the story simply didn’t hold my attention.

The story started out in the right place with a whole dark and mysterious vibe as Corinne broke into an asylum to free her best friend, Ada, who had been imprisoned there after a job gone wrong. Both Ada and Corinne are hemopaths, people whose abilities allow them to create illusions through art. While Ada creates them with her songs, Corinne uses words and poetries.

While the concept is pretty cool – and once the story gets to it, the visual is impressive – I thought it a bit too long to get to the point where we understand what being a hemopath really means. I’m not saying we should get everything at once, but I needed a clearer picture sooner in order to engage with the story and characters.

That was my main problem with the story: creating that link with the characters that makes me want to follow them until the end. I liked Ava and Corinne, but maybe not enough, and the worse thing is not being able to pinpoint exactly why.

Ava and Corinne’s friendship should’ve been enough to make me instantly connect with them. I love stories about strong bonds between friends, and they definitely had that, especially with the way they used their “magic” (for lack of a better word) to increase and complement each other’s abilities. They were morally gray character (they worked at the Cast Iron Club, but also conned people as a side job), and you know how much I love those. I recently finished another book with a MC who had been a con woman, but unlike Ellie from “Chasing Truth”, Ava and Corinne didn’t impress me. The lack of romance also didn’t help. I was intrigued by the idea of Gabriel & Corinne at first, but then I kind of lost interest, too.

I wished the author had explored the setting and time a little better. I wanted to *feel* like I was in 1919 Boston, but it never happened. Sure there was the whole thing with the Cast Iron club that gave off that vibe, but it wasn’t enough.

Maybe that was the problem I had with this book, it just lacked something (I realize how unhelpful this sounds) to grab me and make me fall in love with the characters and the story. It doesn’t mean that other people will feel the same, of course.
*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: