Recent Posts

Monday, January 04, 2016

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover



Image and blurb from Goodreads:

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.

*******************************************************************************

My thoughts:

4.5 "Love HURTS and so does this book* STARS

AHHHHH I JUST FINISHED THIS (LIKE A MINUTE AGO) AND I LOVE IT!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Okay. So I took a deep breath. Let's go back to normal.


Jeez, this was a damn great book. I mean... Really great. Emotional. Funny. Powerful. Sexy. So sexy.

So Tate is the kind of person I'd want to be friends with. Tate, you and I can be BFFs. Come on. Let me be your friend. 

She's young, funny, smart, hard-working and she has THE greatest relationship with her brother. I adore good "big brother/ little sister" relationships, so I was thrilled to see that in this story. She's also kind. Her relationship with the eighty-year-old man who lives in her building is just fantastic. I guess what I'm saying is Colleen wrote a pretty fucking awesome MC!

Tate's flaw? The way she throws herself in a relationship that has no future (although we know and root for the HEA). But she doesn't know it'll happen. Yet, she tries hard. She lets go of her sanity, pride and even common sense because she's falling hard. She's falling in love with the man that tells her he'll never love her back. Some will think her a fool. And she is. But some will look at her and see themselves in that desperate girl. Who hasn't suffered for loving someone who doesn't love you back? It's painful. It hurts so damn much, and even when I knew Miles would come around, I still found myself mentally telling Tate to tell him to fuck off and leave before she hurt more. Because I truly liked her and didn't want to see her suffer.

So... Miles. Poor Miles. Colleen's choice to write this as a different dual-POV was bold. Why? Because we're not reading about Miles falling in love with Tate. We're reading about him falling in love with his first love: Rachel. Miles' POV goes back 6 years to when he met Rachel, the girl who's portrayed like the love of his life -- but we already know she isn't really, since they're not together in the present. So while we get to know Tate's feelings for Miles in her chapters, we're flooded with Miles' love for Rachel in his. Bold, right? But it worked. I liked it. It worked. Mainly because I knew something big would happen and we'd learn why Miles doesn't want to love. Why he refuses to love Tate, who deserves to be loved more than a bunch of MCs I've recently read about.

And when we learn what happened, all we can say is SHIT. Don't get me wrong. It isn't a huge twist. At least it was for me, but it still made me go SHIT! Poor Miles. Poor Rachel. Poor everyone involved. Bottom line, life sucks. But we all knew that already, didn't we?

The ending is pretty much perfect. I love it with all my heart.

Now, the only thing I'll complain about is the amount of repetition going on. I don't mean plot, ideas or thought repetition, but word repetition. Especially in Miles' POV. It made me cringe. And I wanted to scream a couple of times.

One last thing, Miles' voice is poetic. A man with a poetic voice. It happens. It works. It doesn't make his voice less "masculine". So, yeah, I'm venting and this hits me in a personal level, so yeah... I just wanted to point that out. :-P

No comments: